Frequently Asked Questions
Below are Frequently Asked Questions pertaining to the San Francisco and Silicon Valley campuses, including current information on COVID-19 safety and protocols. We also encourage you to visit the University’s main COVID-19 website for additional information.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Interim Dean and Regional CEO Dawn Girardelli at [email protected].
Campus Access: San Francisco, Silicon Valley
What are the building hours at the Silicon Valley campus?
- The Silicon Valley campus is open:
- Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Saturday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Sunday, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Hours are subject to change throughout the year.
What are the building hours at the San Francisco campus?
- The San Francisco campus is open:
- Monday through Thursday, 9:00 am – 9:30 pm
- Friday, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Hours are subject to change throughout the year.
What are the campus access protocols for Students, Faculty, and Staff?
Can I make a meeting room reservation on campus?
- To request a room reservation at the Silicon Valley campus, students should visit the front desk and speak to an operations team member, and employees should use the YArooms booking system.
- San Francisco campus members with existing badge access may reserve conference rooms on their own within the WeWork facility by using the WeWork App or member website. Employees may additionally request a classroom reservation by using the YArooms booking system.
How do I receive my building access badges?
- For the Silicon Valley Campus: You must complete and submit a Campus Access Badge form. For new students, this form is available through the online Orientation course in Canvas. For all others, please email Valerie Cruz at [email protected] to receive the form.
- For the San Francisco Campus: Students, staff, and faculty will need to be added to the WeWork member network prior to picking up their keycards. To verify your status, please email [email protected] and specify San Francisco as your campus location. When you arrive at 600 California Street, check in with WeWork staff on the 11th floor and provide a government-issued ID. WeWork’s hours of operations are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (excluding holidays).
What is the current visitor policy?
COVID-19 Testing: San Francisco, Silicon Valley
Is COVID-19 testing required for Northeastern students, faculty, and staff in San Francisco and Silicon Valley?
- No. Effective February 28, 2022, weekly COVID-19 testing for asymptomatic individuals will be optional. Offsite testing will continue to be required for those experiencing symptoms.
When and where is COVID-19 testing available on the San Francisco and Silicon Valley campuses?
- As of May 6, 2022, Northeastern has discontinued PCR COVID-19 testing on all its campuses. Testing is now widely available via at-home tests and programs offered at retail pharmacies and health centers.
- Some local testing resources:
What should a student, faculty, or staff member from either campus do if they test positive for COVID-19?
- All students, faculty, and staff should follow local public health guidelines: City and County of San Francisco resources , Santa Clara County resources
What happens if someone has tested positive for COVID-19 and has been on campus? Will classmates or staff and faculty be notified?
- If students, staff or faculty test positive, our operations team will reach out to the impacted individual as a follow-up to the test result notification. Public health authorities will conduct broader contact tracing to notify close contacts of those outside our community. To protect each person’s privacy, our team and state public health authorities cannot share the identity of anyone who tests positive for COVID-19. Faculty, staff and students will be notified only if they are a close contact of someone who tests positive for COVID-19. The identity of the person will not be shared.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
Is vaccination mandatory for students, faculty, and staff?
- Yes. Students attending or visiting Northeastern University’s campuses are expected to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Faculty and staff who work at Northeastern University are also expected to submit verification of vaccination. Students, faculty, and staff should complete the Vaccine Verification form to submit their proof of immunization. Medical and religious exemptions can be requested through the same form.
Are COVID-19 booster shots required?
- Yes. All faculty and staff who work at one of Northeastern University’s U.S. campuses, and all students attending or visiting a U.S. campus, are required to receive a booster shot by January 18, 2022, or seven days after they become eligible. The requirement includes employees who have alternative work arrangements and who work or teach fully remotely.
Where can Northeastern community members in the San Francisco Bay Area get vaccinated?
- COVID-19 vaccines and boosters are being distributed by healthcare providers and pharmacies in coordination with local county health departments, following the recommendations outlined by the CDC and state of California. Visit the following websites for more information, including how to schedule a vaccination appointment:
- COVID-19 Vaccine in San Francisco
- COVID-19 Vaccine in Santa Clara County
COVID-19 Response: San Francisco, Silicon Valley
Is eating allowed on the San Francisco and Silicon Valley Campuses?
- Eating and drinking are allowed only in certain designated areas as noted below, excluding pre-approved on-campus events. Unvaccinated individuals are responsible for following current public health guidance regarding social distancing.
- Where masking is required, individuals may only remove their masks while actively eating or drinking. Hand sanitization and cleaning of surfaces is recommended before and after meals.
- On the San Francisco campus, eating is allowed within WeWork’s community lounges, meeting rooms, and on the 11th floor outdoor deck. Only water bottles, coffee cups, and other covered beverages are permitted in the classrooms and study areas at this time.
- On the Silicon Valley campus, eating is allowed in the kitchen dining area. Kitchen appliances should be sanitized after each use to help keep the area clean for the next person. Only water bottles, coffee cups, and other covered beverages are permitted in the classrooms and study areas at this time.
What is the current event policy?
- Events are permitted on the San Francisco and Silicon Valley campuses in acoordance with local COVID-19 public health requirements and University guidance.
- To request an on-campus event, please complete a digital event request form at least 3 weeks in advance of the event date. If you have any questions, please contact campus operations management.
Are there guidelines students should follow when traveling to the San Francisco Bay Area campuses?
- All travelers arriving in or returning to California should follow CDC travel guidance.
Are masks required on the San Francisco and Silicon Valley campuses?
- Masking indoors is currently optional for all individuals in alignment with updated COVID-19 guidance from the State, City and County of San Francisco, and Santa Clara County.
What are the cleaning protocols on campus?
- Our campuses follow Northeastern’s cleaning and sanitizing protocol and provide enhanced cleaning with EPA-approved disinfectant products, focusing on high-traffic and frequently touched areas. Hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes will be readily available. Community members should use the wipes provided to wipe down surfaces and equipment after each use such as classroom desks and printers.
What are the local resources available for COVID-19 information in our area?